Friday, August 13, 2010

Happy Friday the 13th!!

Well, I don't know what all this fuss is about, to me, today is just like any other day.  It's not my birthday, either, but there's something about "black cats" going around, being "bad luck" - when & where did this nasty & completely untrue rumor come from?  Apparently it's more of a stigma than we think.

Now you can read more about Friday the 13th here and here, but as for black cats, the superstition goes that black cats were at one time long ago believed to be witches in disguise.  You can read up on other fascinating 'cat superstitions', too, as well as cool photos of my fellow black felines.

But getting back to the bum rap, according to this article, apparently there's a phenomenon known as "black cat syndrome" going on where darker colored felines in shelters have a harder time finding a home because of the association between their color and bad luck.  Some adoption places even restrict black cat adoptions around Halloween for fear that they won't be placed in a good home.  Meow-trageous, I say!! 

I'm sure I speak for all of my other dark-haired felines out there, that we are probably one of the sweetest and loving group of cats you'll ever come across!  Hopefully none of you humans out there have stereotyped us, and as for my particular breed, the Bombay, here's a great site to read more about us! I can tell you, though, we live up to our good-natured disposition and absoulutely love attention!  And although, I personally have a tendency to shy away from visitors, I quickly warm up.  We're also great with children  :) 

So to all this black cat supertition going on out there, I only have this to say:

 

Just kidding! I'm simply yawning in this photo, I couldn't hurt a fly (well, you know what I mean!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Meow! I'm Mischief, a 4 year old female black cat (descendant of the Bombay breed). I'm pretty sweet and loveable most of the time, but I sure can live up to my name! This is my blog, so grab some catnip, sit back, relax, and enjoy reading all about my exciting cat tales of travel, adventure and FUN!!

Networked Blogs

Powered by Blogger.