Friday, September 10, 2010

Cat Therapy?

Dear Readers,

Today I'd like to talk to you about something my mistress came upon while surfing the internet for events around the Tulsa area.  It's called, "PAWS for Reading".  It's a program that places registered therapy/support dogs (and cats!) in a classroom or library setting, acting as an incentive for school-age children to read and promote social skills.  Animal-assisted therapy programs are in place all over the country, where pets such as dogs, cats, even birds are trained and used to visit patients in care facilities, elderly in nursing homes, even helping autistic children
Everyone who's a pet owner knows not only are we your best friend and a member of the family, but animals, and especially cats, have a very calming effect with people, mainly because we like to sit in your lap and be petted! 
Now it does take a special cat or dog to be a therapy pet.  Pre-requisites include having a calm, tolerant disposition, along with being affectionate, and in good health.  Most of all, they should enjoy meeting and being around people.  If you or your owner feel like you are a good candidate, I'd encourage you to Google pet therapy programs in your area.  Here are a few links to get you started:
 DogPlay: Therapy Dogs and Visiting Pets
 National Animal Assisted Therapy Programs
 Assisted-Animal Therapy Listings by state

Although my shyness would probably prevent me from qualifying, I think this is a great volunteer opportunity for pets and their owners, as well as a way to get involved with the community!  My local PAWS for Reading program even offers area children a free book while sitting down and reading to a therapy pooch!
As a recent article states: "We, as pet owners, know how much love and trust our pets give us. But when we can share that love, and when we see people benefit from that love, it's an amazing gift".  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Meow! I'm Mischief, a 4 year old female black cat (descendant of the Bombay breed). I'm pretty sweet and loveable most of the time, but I sure can live up to my name! This is my blog, so grab some catnip, sit back, relax, and enjoy reading all about my exciting cat tales of travel, adventure and FUN!!

Networked Blogs

Powered by Blogger.